This summer Church at the Bay is challenging everyone to throw a Block Party.
A Block Party is:
- A chance to connect and meet your neighbors
- Relaxing and casual- no program
- A place where everyone brings something to eat
A Block Party is not:
- For you to “push” Church at the Bay
- Something you do by yourself- enlist the “Block” to bring stuff
One thing we want every Block Party to do:
- Collect canned food for Metropolitan Ministries and other local food banks. Just put the food in the “Bounce House” trailer and we will deliver it.
We are often so busy with “life” that we often open the garage door- go to work- pull in and close the garage door at the end of the day. Before we ever tell someone what we know- they must know that we care. Block Parties are not a “special stealth op” to preach to your neighbors. This is a chance to connect in the driveway. As you earn credibility (that may take some time) you can share your faith and invite your neighbors to Church at the Bay. I have read many studies of how people come to faith. Every one of those studies lists a friends “invite or influence” as the primary reason for coming to faith. “Preaching at people” is not only ineffective – most of the time it hardens people to the Gospel. So the thrust of the Block Parties is to connect with your neighbors. We think adding the food collection to the party will not only help people in need but will connect your Block Party around meeting some needs.
How Can You Throw Your Own Party
The Block Party is about you making a plan (not Church at the Bay). Here is what we would suggest:
- Enlist some neighbors to help- the more the merrier
- Set a date
- Schedule the Bounce House for your Party (email Don at Don@churchatthebay.com)
- Make it happen and have fun
- Our pastors are planning to throw parties and we would also love to attend some of your parties (we would let you know and not surprise you). But, we will not be able to attend all parties.
- When you are finished you can return the trailer with the Bounce House and canned food you collect. We will make sure the food gets to the local food banks quickly.