This next Sunday, right after church, we will have our 2nd Lead Now! I have always had a passion for leadership development in myself and in the organizations I lead. I have had friends say, “Yep, leadership is Hal’s love language”. I believe that the things that need to be done and get done always have a leader. Here are some other ideas about leadership:
- It is the art of motivating a group of people to act towards achieving a common goal. – About.com
- “A manager takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go but ought to.” — Rosalyn Carter
- “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” — John Quincy Adams
- “a process of giving purpose (meaningful direction) to collective effort, and causing willing effort to be expended to achieve purpose.” - Jacobs & Jaques,
- “leadership is influence – nothing more, nothing less.” – John Maxwell
I think everyone would agree it takes more than a sentence to define the art of Leadership. When I talk about leadership, I am talking about people using their gifts and talents to move others in a certain direction. We all can name great leaders in history who rose up to right a wrong or turn the tide of public opinion. Most of us will never lead a national movement, but that does not mean our influence doesn’t matter. I believe God has given all of us influence that we can either use for good, for bad, or for nothing if we allow it to atrophy. Here is my question- How are you stewarding or leveraging your influence for God’s purposes? Whether your platform is in the PTA, the living room, or the board room—what are you doing with your influence?
This Sunday at Lead Now, you will hear stories of life change that happened because people decided to leverage their influence for God’s kingdom. We will talk about where we are going in 2011 and even give you some tools to be more effective in your leadership. So here are the basics:
What is Lead Now: It is an event that will focus on leadership development. This will not be ministry specific training; it will have a global leadership focus. During Lead Now we will:
- Eat lunch (so you must sign up)
- Provide Childcare (so you must sign up, older children go to Gator Fred’s!)
- Spend about 1.5 hours together in training and dreaming
- Cast some CATB vision for the next year!
Who can participate in Lead Now: If you presently volunteer at Church at the Bay or are considering volunteering, we want you there.
How can I attend Lead Now: Email Neal@churchatthebay.com and tell him how many adults and how many children (and their ages).
This is going to be a great weekend!