LEVERAGE is a concept that we use in many areas of our lives:
- We LEVERAGE a $300,000 mortgage with $30,000 dollars down
- We ask a friend to get us an interview with the boss using their relational LEVERAGE
- We ask an employee to do something for us using our positional LEVERAGE
Dictionary.com gives this helpful definition of LEVERAGE:
The power or ability to act or to influence people, events, decisions, etc.
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross! Philippians 2:5-8
What struck me in this passage was that Jesus LEVERAGED His position, power, influence and His divinity- to provide for me (and every other human) what I could not provide for myself. I received forgiveness and a relationship with the Father as His son because of Jesus’ actions on my behalf. I believe God’s call on my life (and every Christ-followers life) is to LEVERAGE what He has given me to help people I know find forgiveness and a relationship with the Father. So here is my question- How LEVERAGED are you with your :
- Abilities– do you serve? Or merely use for personal benefit?
- Time– are you investing in the Kingdom?
- Finances– are you giving generously through your Church to reach the world?
Too many times as individuals we become self-centric. Churches also tend to become absorbed with providing only for their congregation. What would happen if we decided to LEVERAGE what God has given us so that other people might know Him? How would God use us? Talk to me about your ideas on LEVERAGE.