Sunday afternoon was a significant time for Church at the Bay. We met to vote on the proposed merge/multisite strategy with Grace Family Church. The vote was overwhelmingly in support of this new direction.
Here is a snapshot of what we have decided:
- Church at the Bay will merge with Grace Family Church and become the 1st multisite for GFC.
- Our name is changing to – Grace Family Church – Citrus Park
- The official launch day with the campus makeover will be Sunday, August 18th. (That will give us the summer to get things ready).
I believe this move will help us be more effective in reaching people for Jesus Christ and give us the opportunity to partner with a Movement of God across Tampa. I am grateful to God for our pastors and leaders who led the charge in this new effort. I firmly believe the currency of Leadership is trust! Because Church at the Bay trusts her leader and the vote clearly reflects that!
As we led Church at the Bay to this decision- I knew that:
- Church at the Bay has always been about reaching people with the good news of Jesus. Because of that, we would never let a name stand in the way of God’s mission. I have often joked- “If painting our building purple and changing our name to the Barney Church would reach more people for Christ- I am for it.”
- It is not about me having my name on a building one day- it is about the message of Jesus and reaching this community.
- We really could be Better Together
The spiritual truth about Tampa is staggering (business as usual won’t get it done)
- There are 51 cites in America that have a population of over 1 million. Seattle is the least churched (number of people who attend church) and Tampa is next. We need to kick a dent in Hell in Tampa.
- Tampa is also the 3rd most depressed city in America- people need hope. I know real hope comes through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
So to use the over used phrase- “at the end of the day”- the Kingdom of God wins because we are Better Together.
By the way- I preached 2 messages on Better Together.
- Week 1 was- The Big Idea
- Week 2 was- The Will of God
Time to fasten your seat belts- we are on the ride of a lifetime! I say we band together and make “Tampa a hard place to get to Hell from”!