I want to take a moment and unpack our memory verse this week. As I have been meditating on it in my Quiet Time, I have been reminded of the Grace of God in the midst of temptation. Here is our verse:
1 Corinthians 10:13 The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you can endure.
So let’s take it a piece at a time.
“The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience.”
- Often when we are tempted we think, “I am so ashamed” or “No one else gets this temptation but me”. When we think that way we pull away from community because we fear rejection or misunderstanding. Don’t pull away- there is strength found in Christian community.
“And God is faithful.”
- As I read this again today I realized again, “that’s enough”. If nothing else is said, the reminder that God is faithful and we can count on Him is enough for us to go forward. We are not in this alone.
He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand.
- Although our temptations are not from God, He does filter them. That is comforting to know in two ways. God knows about every temptation we face and is not caught off guard and He will not allow the temptation to be “more than you can stand”.
“When you are tempted,”
- Temptation is not if or maybe- it is normal and regular. It is not a sin to be tempted- Jesus was tempted and yet He did not sin (Hebrews 4:15). So be alert- temptation is coming.
“He will show you a way out so that you can endure.”
- The secret to escaping the temptation is not found in our strength or skill- it is found as we look to Him. Too often when we are tempted we take our gaze of the Father and focus on the temptation. As a Christ-Follower, our gaze (focus) is to be on Christ and my glance is at the temptation. When we get it backwards we are doomed to failure. Do not focus on the temptation and glance at the Father for help. Reverse that- make Him your constant focus and “stuff” your glance. This weekend will rock- make sure you come and bring a friend.