This is a post on Jon Ferguson’s Blog . . . I couldn’t resist passing it on…
Ever catch yourself not leading? Of course, you have. When I find myself not leading the way I believe God has called me to lead, I ask myself, “What does it look like for me to really be a leader in this situation? Maybe this will help you know when you are slipping a little bit.
You know you are not leading when . . .
- You wait for someone to tell you what to do rather than taking the initiative yourself
- You spend too much time talking about how things should be different
- You blame the context, surroundings, or other people for your current situation
- You choose not to speak the truth in love
- You are more concerned about being cool or accepted than doing the right thing
- You seek consensus, rather than casting vision for a preferable future
- You aren’t taking any significant risks
- You accept status quo as the way it’s always been and always will be
- You start protecting your reputation instead of opening yourself up to opposition